More Recent Comments

Thursday, February 19, 2009

We Need this Course at the University of Toronto

 
Carl Zimmer ran a Science Writing Workshop at Yale University a few weeks ago.

I want him to give the same workshop here but I don't know if we can afford him.

Carl told us on his blog (The Island of Science Writing) about a short course in science writing that he is teaching this summer at the Shoals Marine Laboratory in Maine (USA). That sounded pretty neat so I thought I'd check it out by following the link [SCIENCE WRITING: BIOSM 3110]. I entertained the hope that I could take this course from Carl ... until I saw the price. The total cost for the week ($2,286) includes room and board but it's still a little steep for me, even considering the quality of the lecturer.

Hey Carl, do you have a discount for senior citizens?


3 comments :

Alejandro Montenegro-Montero said...

If you find out how much they ask for giving the seminar at a University, please let us know.

Carl said...

Thanks for the post on my class. Of course, I don't decide the tuition, but I would like to point out that it's a good deal--the cheapest Cornell University credits on or off campus. It covers 7 nights on the island, very good food, wireless access to Cornell's library, a tour of the surrounding islands, transportation from and back to the mainland, etc. The experience of the island is quite memorable, as reflected by the ex-students who come back each year as volunteers to care for the grounds.

As for senior citizen discounts, I know you're not a day over forty, Larry.

Anonymous said...

Can't help putting in a pointer to a local effort in case anyone is think of heading out this way (New Zealand's South Island): http://www.sciencecommunication.info/