More Recent Comments

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bouillon

On the drive back from Reims to Brussels we stopped for dinner in Bouillon. We had a wonderful meal in a restaurant on the bank of the river. Here's me and my three "girls."

Zoë and her grandmother (Mamère) went off in search of the prince. The "prince" is Godfrey of Bouillon (~1060-1100) one of the leaders of the First Crusade. He was the first ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1099). Bouillon was an important place in the Middle Ages. The ruins of the castle attest to its glory days.

Godfrey was the son of Eustace II, Count of Boulogne and Ida of Lorraine. Eustace II fought with William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. His father was Eustace I, Count of Boulogne who married Matilda of Leuven (Louvain). (She was the daughter of Lambert I, Count of Leuven (~950-1015). We have many Belgian ancestors.)

Eustace I and Matilda are Zoë's direct ancestors via their other son Lambert II, Count of Lens (1025-1054). We descend from his daughter Judith of Lens whose mother (wife of Lambert II) was Adelaide of Normandy, sister of William the Conqueror.

The majority of people reading this blog are also descendants of these people. You just don't know it.


8 comments :

Bjørn Østman said...

The majority of people reading this blog are also descendants of these people. You just don't know it.

I dare you to convince me of this.

Anonymous said...

I've once heared that only 6000 individuals of the world's population living 2000 years ago contributed to the genomes of the people living today.

Larry Moran said...

@Bjørn Østman,

I'm assuming that the vast majority of Sandwalk readers have European ancestors. A reasonable assumption, I think.

If that's true then read Are You a Descendant of Charlemagne? and tell me where you find a flaw in the logic.

If you are a descendant of Charlemagne, which is very likely, then chances are you are also a descendant of one of the people listed in my posting.

Frank said...

Yeah, I am as well, through my Alsatian great-great-great-great grandfather, who was in Napoleon's personal regiment at Moscow and Waterloo.

He was a splendid example of contingency in action, being more fit than at least 30,000 of his countrymen.

Bjørn Østman said...

Larry, I just read the Charlemagne post. I find no flaw. I admit my mistake, which was to think of male-only descendants. But perhaps it's also true in that case?

Bjørn Østman said...

But perhaps it's also true in that case?

I just read my own comment again, and it doesn't seem to convey the wittiness that I was trying to make at the time. So, let me answer myself: No, it is definitely not true. Y-Adam, the most recent common ancestor male, who all living males are descended from through males only, lived a lot longer time ago than Charlemagne. 90k to 60k years ago, apparently.

Anonymous said...

Yeah its true that many people who check out your blog on Bouillon are related to the Bouillon kingdom. My mother's side of the family are descendants of the huegenot Louis Boulier. My Great grand father told my grandmother that the origins of our family reside at Castle Bouillon and have to do with Ireland. I also have ties to The Royal Society and The Donnachaidh Sociey of The Bruces through my Great Grand parents on my father's side of the family . My Great Grand parents are Thomis Amis and Mary Robertson.

sincerely Mark Alan Green

Chava Malka Cooper said...

i am a descendant of ida of lorraine and eustace II, on my father's side, through their son eustace III, according to wikipedia the only one with issue. and i am european, dutch actually.
and i am jewish and i live in today's "kingdom of jerusalem", i love about 20 minutes away fro jerusalem... so being related to godfrey isn't that great, oh well you can't pick your relatives...